Friday, November 18, 2005

Lost in Translation??

"Je garde"...this song is the first French piece that I heard(learnt,sang,re-sang...)and it is a really neat one.It is by a French babe called Jennifer,who,at the time of making this song,was (not more than) 19 years of age.This song is(for me!!)perhaps the best in the entire record.She,I hear,is a teen rage in France.And if (ifff) I amn't wrong,she writes her lyrics herself aussi!
While doing the beginners' level at Alliance,our group had chosen this song to sing at the "fete de la musique"(june 2004).At that initial stage,none of us could emulate the pucca Parisian accent(specially the 'r') this lady rendered B_E_A_U_T_I_F_U_L_L_Y!!!We would sit together for hours,straining our poor throats,to attain that kind of fluency of accent,which sadly failed us!But somehow we managed to pull out a pretty good job,not necessarily sounding like a chain of blind mendicants!!
This song also fetched me super cool compliments at Ann's.I made a complete nincompoop of myself addressing a group "areeee(not arrey!)!idhar aa ge!!haule baathaan nakko kar" intellects( ok...im exaggerrating!), with this French song.Confused,amused,interested,ROTFL kind of eyes,"eh??" eyes," "I knew you were wierd,but never knew you were this wierd" kind of looks,"there she goes" looks,and there were those that supported me through this ordeal as well!But it also contributed to the (few??)trophies I have earnt at Ann's!!
Anyways,this is my first attempt at translation.The song has been modified at a few places in the desperate attempt to retain maximum of the "french" feel.But if I have done injustice to it and the "feel" is 'lost in translation' pardon me Jennifer.English is at the mercy of French any day!!And I am still a student learning the language, so I guess its justified!;-P

I guard the memories
of the pictures we never shared,
of the first attempts of smile,
rendered hastily yet yielding conquests.

I guard the surprises
that you,on me,rained,
each beautiful morning.
Your sleepy eyes,desiring me
beneath you,
every other day...

I guard our weaknesses,
that defined our "human" roots.
The futile silences,
and the language our hands shared...

There lives no unfilled space,
it's just what I "feel"...
No language can spell it right,
Only my feelings have survived...

It is this way,that
I picture the two of us-
The reflections,in my eyes (I guard)
All our laughters over a "nothing" "
The sweetness of my words "
The radiance that you spread "
The colours of the past "
The zephyr trapped in my tresses "
But,
All our nights and all the falsities-
Are what are left to stare back at us...

The song continues.But we had to stop at that,lest we scared the poor Frenchies present there!Now, I can confidently sound like a mendicant (a blind one!)BUT...with the Parisian accent(or so i believe!!)!!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Aakarsh said...

"I guard the memories
of the pictures we never shared,"


"The futile silences,
and the language our hands shared..." were killers(according to me)..and even the last lines.

And i almost "Wow"-ed seeing the word "Zephyr" after a long time.

Nice work Divya.

7:43 PM, November 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the zephyr trapped in your tresses?cool!

Great piece!

3:00 PM, November 19, 2005  
Blogger divya said...

try and translate that in french now yd...the zephyr part!!cmon baby!!

9:27 PM, November 19, 2005  
Blogger divya said...

whoops...translate that "to" french...

9:29 PM, November 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home